Call Us Today! 631-410-6790
Firestone & Breud P.L.L.C.
Employment Law And Divorce Attorneys Serving Long Island

Common Questions About Employment Law

Employment disputes are quite complex. At Firestone & Breud, P.L.L.C., we can answer any questions you have about your rights to pursue compensation and hold negligent employers accountable.

Located in Commack, New York, we serve clients throughout Suffolk County and Long Island, including Hauppauge. If you contact us today, we can help you get answers to questions like the following:

My boss keeps making me work more than 40 hours a week and is not paying overtime. What can I do?

Your first step should be to contact an experienced employment lawyer, who can help you determine your options. It may be that you are a salaried employee not entitled to overtime. If you are not exempt from overtime pay, your employer cannot deny the wages you are legally entitled to. We can help you take action.

What can I do to help prove I'm not being paid the wages I deserve?

Having a paper trail to establish a pattern of wage-and-hour violations can be a big boost to a case. If you do not have copies of pay stubs and time sheets, it may help to keep a journal of some kind noting your attendance record.

What does it mean to be an "at-will" employee?

In New York state, all employees who work without a contract are "at-will" employees. That means you can be fired for any reason, as long as it is not for illegal reasons like employment discrimination or retaliation for reporting a wage-and-hour violation. By talking with an attorney like Mr. Breud, he can help you determine if your rights were violated and how you can take action.

Is sexual orientation a protected class?

New York state protects workers from discrimination due to their sexual orientation. Federal law does not. Our law firm represents employees in both state and federal courts.

I am the victim of discrimination, what do I need to do?

In most cases, even if you are not filing a lawsuit yet, you have to file a notice of claim in a short amount of time to protect your right to take legal action. For public employees in New York, that time frame is only 90 days. For a federal claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, you have 300 days. We can help you meet these deadlines.

What Legal Issues Can We Help You With?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy